Thursday, July 05, 2007

Obstruction of Tear Duct

So when was your first eye doctor's appt.? I can't remember when mine was or even if I have had any other that the eye checks at school.....in elementary school. Mason had his first eye doctor's appt. last week. At 9 months!! I never thought I would be taking my lil guy to the eye doctor for a while, but it came sooner that I had expected. At his 9 month check up I told the doctor that Mason has had a watering left eye now for almost a month. His left eye would water tons and when he would cry it would POOR out tears unlike his right one. It did not seem right to me so I mentioned it to his doc. He recommended me to an eye doc so we went to see what was up. I just expected him to say "It is a blocked duct....give him eye drops and he will be fine" Well that was far from what he said. He did say it was a blocked duct, but he would have to open up the obstruction or he would eventually get bad eye infections :( He explained that all infants have closed ducts but are opened by 6 months of age and if they don't then the doc would have to open the duct. Well.....that is what we did today......we went back to the eye doctor and he opened his tear duct which he said was VERY clogged.


Here is how the procedure went.....MOM very WORRIED and dad by their sides, Mason was put into a pappoose (like a straight jacket for infants) so he could not move. Then the doc went in through his duct with a NEEDLE!!!!!!! No medication for Mason at all!! We were in the room with him to give him comfort...or as much comfort as you can give a little one in a pappoose with a needle coming right for your eye. Anyways, the procedure took about one minute and he opened the duct. Now for the rest of the week we have to watch to make sure the duct doesn't close again, and if it does this means we have to put Mason under and put a tube in his duct so it drains!! My poor guy!! Who ever knew of this????? I cried the whole time he was getting the procedure done, however Mason did not make a peep until he was poked. Not while he was restrained or after it was over. They said he would probably sleep......NO not my lil guy he was happy and ready to play :) His eye is fine and I pray that the procedure works and he doesn't have to get the tube in his eye. He was AMAZING through the whole thing!!!

8 comments:

Jenny said...

My poor little nephew. Tell him his Auny Ninny misses him and that I can't wait to see him walk and run again. He is the sweetest thing ever and the cutest baby I have ever seen. You need to get that baby a baby Shrek. He loves it.

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

pooooooooor baby!@!!!

the thorntons said...

Bless his little heart...and yours too!! I'm sure it affected you worse than him. Mason has probably already forgotten about it!

campers said...

ahhh that is awful...a needle! It that necessary??? poor thing!

whitney said...

I am so sorry he had to go through that :(

Laura said...

mmmm me sad, I hate it he had to do that! He is so brave though, just like his momma! I miss you, come to Austin! oh and it's not the 10th it's the 4th so I will be here! YIPPEE!

the thorntons said...

YES...let's meet at Carrabba's! I can do it either this Thursday or next Thursday, and then we move!! Let me know, ok?? :)

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Glad that you caught it early so there are no major issues with the tear duct! How are things now? How are the Sanantonio's? We are going to Sonoma,CA next weekend for a wedding, looking forward to getting out of town. We definitely need to get together! Did you two figure out a good weekend? We miss you.