Sunday, January 25, 2009

"Her Gig is up!" ~ultrasound lady

~Madelyn's Birth Story~

I had made it to another Monday, as I thought I would. I was not having any GOOD contractions over the weekend and knew she was in there to stay! I guess Mason made a comfy spot in there for her. Marcus had the day off due to MLK day and my doctor's appointment was scheduled for 11:00am. We had our babysitter come over to watch Mason. Marcus and I planned to go to lunch after the appointment and then home for another fun day with Mason. We were going to be induced that Wednesday if all looked and went well at the appointment. Madelyn had different plans....here is how our day/Madelyn's Birthday went:




10:00- Headed out to ultrasound/doctor's appointment (I wanted to get there early and see if I could be seen earlier) On the way Marcus and I were talking about where we wanted to eat for lunch......Mason was happily playing with his babysitter and did not even care we had left!





10:30- The ultrasound lady called us back ready to see Miss Madelyn in my tummy for the last time! Of course we had tons of questions: About how much does she weigh, Does she have much hair, Are all her measurements good, Is the cord around her neck, Is her heart rate good.....and then the last question.....Do I have any fluid left?? That is when the ultrasound lady said "Her Gig Is UP!!!" I could tell there was NO fluid because there was no black spots while she scanned over my belly. At that moment....We knew we would be having Madelyn TODAY and SOON!




11:00- After the ultrasound we went in to see Dr. Andrews. She walked in and said "You need to head on over to the hospital and I will be right over to break your water and start the induction! It all happened so fast. She also checked me one last time...I was 3cm dilated and almost fully effaced. She was still low, but had not come any lower.





***At this time I walked across the building to the hospital, calling my parents and the babysitter trying to get things squared away with Mason. He was having a blast with the babysitter so he stayed there until my parents or Marcus' brother got to the house to get him. Marcus at this time was headed home to pick up all our bags and cameras/camcorder. He called his parents and was back to the hospital quickly. SO MUCH FOR OUR LUNCH TOGETHER! :)





12:30- After about an hour of getting my IV hooked up and getting all my paper work done Marcus was back at the hospital and they had just started me on PITOCIN! I really wanted to avoid pitocin, but as I should know I CAN'T PLAN MY DELIVERIES! I was feeling good...contractions coming nothing to serious :)





12:45- Dr. Andrews came in to break my water. With Mason I did not have to have my water broken so I was unsure how this was going to go. Anyways, she proceeded to break my water...WHICH THERE WAS NONE since I had no fluid. I was still at 3cm too. I really wanted my doc to deliver which meant I had to deliver by 5pm before she was off. I was not to optimistic about that because It was almost 1 and I was still a 3!





2:45- After upping the Pitocin every 15 minutes...I was DYING! The contractions were AWFUL and right on top of each other! As I have said before I was trying to NOT get an epidural since my experience last time was HORRENDOUS. I asked the nurse to come check me to see how far along I was and that was going to sway my decision on getting an epidural. If I had progressed a lot I was going to stick out the PAINFUL contractions, but if I was not much further I was going to get the epidural and CROSS MY FINGERS for a better experience! The Nurse came in to check me and I was STILL A 3. With being on pitocin for 2 hours and still a 3 I caved and got the epidural.





3:15- I received the epidural...the Anesthesiologist was GREAT and the epidural was flawless! BUT I was still feeling every contraction....the edge was taken off, but I still had to stop and breathe through some very had ones! Now with Mason I FELT EVERYTHING because my epidural did not work so I was unsure if this was normal. Well, the nurse told me to give it a few more contractions and I SHOULD not be able to feel ANYTHING....so that is what I did. In the meantime my doctor came to check me AGAIN. I was thinking...I can't be much more....the nurse just checked me! However, I was wrong. I went from a 3 to a 6cm in a matter of no time. Madelyn's heart rate began to drop too, but would come back to normal. It was due to the quick progression I had made.





4:00- I was still feeling the contractions and they were worse. They were traveling up my back and in my lower back. The nurse asked me if I wanted the anesthesiologist to come give me more medicine...I hesitated, but opted for more. This is where things get a little HAZY! The second after he gave me more medicine I lost my hearing...it was all muffled then my heart rate and Madelyn's heart rate went OFF THE CHARTS! They turned the pitocin off and gave me oxygen to get our heart rates back to normal again. Finally, I was calmed down and we were back on track. The Pitocin was turned back on.





***This last hour and a half FLEW by! I was still feeling the horrible back contractions so the nurse was suspecting that Madelyn had been Sunny Side Up this whole time and that was cause for her heart rate to drop and my back contractions. We kept moving me from side to side to try to turn her...she kept checking me to tickle her head to see if she could tell if she was for sure sunny side up.





5:00- The nurse comes in to check me once more...Madelyn's heart rate was still not stable...it was in the low 80's and not coming back up! I was 7 1/2 cm after she checked me.



5:15- Dr. Andrews came in to do another check...They kept asking me if I thought she has dropped further and if I felt like I needed to push...I had that feeling with Mason, but not Madelyn. As soon as she walked in....the said "We are having this baby now!" I was shocked...I was not FULLY DILATED! She got all ready and got me ready to start Pushing. Marcus said, "If you can deliver Madelyn by 5:31 she will be born when Andrea was born." Dr. Andrews replied "OH...she will be here SOONER THAN THAT!" Mind you it was already 5:15!



After a few pushes and the heart rate still LOW and not coming up....there was not much time to left to deliver....SO OUT WITH THE VACUUM! During my next contraction the Nurse pushed her whole forearm down on my stomach while Dr. Andrews used the Vacuum and I pushed and OUT came Madelyn. It was either that or emergency C-Section with me KNOCKED OUT COMPLETELY!



5:24- Madelyn Dawn Schultz entered the world just 9 minutes after the doc came in! QUICK !!!



***Out in the waiting room was Mason, both our families and Aunt Jenny and Uncle Monte ready to meet Miss Madelyn. They actually had no idea I was pushing...they thought the nurse was still checking me and was waiting to come back in the room. Madelyn all along had her OWN plans on arriving :) I am just glad she is here in our arms.



HOWEVER: I had to leave the hospital WITHOUT HER!!! I was discharged after 2 days and she had to stay one more night under Photo therapy for Jaundice :( I was soooo sooo sad I had to leave. I did not leave my room till late Wednesday night and then went back up to feed her...she could only be out of the lights for 30 minute increments every 4 hours :( We tried everything we could for me to stay another day....INSURANCE...that's a long story! But the next day she was READY to come home and we were all glad she was HEALTHY! Big Brother is LOVING her...he has his moments, but he will be a WONDERFUL big brother to Madelyn! We are so blessed.

Typing my post right when the Pitocin started



Are you kidding...That is what I was supposed to FOCUS on!



Mason arrived right before Madelyn was born...he did not know what to think since I had the oxygen mask on!



Madelyn was about to arrive :)






Our Family of FOUR :) (I do have a gown on!)






Let me explain....Mason HAD to wear these orange pumpkin shoes...good ole' uncle Monte who brought him to the hospital knew Momma would not like that and brought more shoes, but before we could even get them on...Madelyn came and we forgot all about our mis matched shoes :)

I love Mason's expression here...This is the FIRST peek he had a Madelyn.

Playing at the hospital

Getting her hearing test



Just look at that sweet smirk!

Aunt Jenny holding Madelyn....Jenny's next! Madden will be arriving in early July!!
YAHOO!!! We get to FINALLY take her home :)






You can tell she looks a little yellow still, but we were glad to get to take her home!


Big Brother checking in on baby sister!


11 comments:

Nedd Family said...

You did it and Madelyn is gorgeous!! So glad I got to visit with you guys today.

Laura said...

YESSSSSSSSSS post those pics! And I love your story, sorry about the vacuum! I am glad you didn't have to do the c section though! LY! I can't wait to see baby!

christyzee said...

Congratulation momma you did a great job! she's beautiful!
Blessings...

The Logans said...

I am so glad to see the pictures! Keep them coming please! She is a doll and Mason looks so cute with her. I wish we could see you. Please make a trip to Abilene as soon as you can and I promise I'll meet you there. Maybe we can figure out something over spring break.

Laura said...

I love those pics! She is so pretty in pink! Oh I love pink! makes me want another one :)! I love her go home outfit too. And seeing Mason with her and looking at her! And I don't think anyone would notice little man's shoes, I think they are cute! I can't wait to meet her tomorrow!

campers said...

i lvoe the story! So glad all is ok! She is precious!

Kimberly said...

what a story! i'm glad you're all home and have a beautiful daughter to add to your family. the picture of mason seeing her for the first time is my favorite!

all our thoughts & prayers as you continue to transition into a family of four. i'll be reading carefully as we prepare to expand our family in august.

best wishes,

whitney said...

I'm so glad to see more pics!! I'm so glad she is doing
Better after your long crazy week!! I hope to come down
There memorial day weekend to meet her and see mr. Mason :)

Jennifer said...

She is beautiful! I can't wait to meet her!

Kelli said...

She's perfect!! Congratulations!!

Nominate someone or something in need said...

so excited for you guys! what a beautiful, beautiful family...